Friday, February 3, 2012

What's Good! Southern Biscuits & Chocolate Gravy!


One of the best childhood memories I have growing up is going to my Grandpas house on the weekend to have biscuits and chocolate gravy. My moms granny made it for them and it has been handed down ever since.

Not very common where we grew up.When you ask someone around here if they have had chocolate gravy & biscuits for breakfast there like ... I've never heard of it!
 It's definitely a once in a while treat, but if you have a thing for chocolate this is pure goodness, definitely a comfort food!
 The best way is to use your favorite homemade biscuits, but you can also use refrigerator biscuits. I found an easy recipe that I like to use here.

 My make shift biscuit cutter :]

 The recipe for the gravy is super easy!
I thought it would be fun to see what recipes were online and to my surprise there is quite a lot of them!  They are all similar. When I saw that Paula Dean had a recipe you know I had to give it a try!

 Mix your cocoa, flour & sugar into your melted butter.

 add your milk stir until thickened, then add a little vanilla. It's that simple!
 Hot buttery biscuits....
 drizzled with hot chocolate gravy!
Oh My!
 Yes, it's good!
Good to the last drop!

What even makes this recipe more awesome is you put the left overs in the fridge and once chilled you have a chocolate pudding treat! mmmmmmm!

Paula has a biscuit recipe and chocolate gravy recipe here  It's been tested, and it's oh so yum!!! Just like I remember!
I did make a little change and added 1 teaspoon of vanilla at the end once thickened. The recipe I have written down always seemed like it was missing a little something. After making Paula's I think it was the butter. My mom says my grandpa would add some butter and the vanilla to the end!

Pure comfort!

6 comments:

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Yummy! That sure does look good! Your photos look beautiful!

~Shanon

It's me said...

This is.........hmmmmmmmmmmm........delicious!!!!!...happy weekend.....xxx...

Winoman said...

I think you have the delicious one. I love Chocolate Wines to taste with.

Gloria said...

Yum!!! We have had biscuits and gravy, but never with chocolate gravy. I love chocolate! We will have to give this a try.

Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend to you!

xoxo...Gloria

Lilla Kullan said...

Mmmm... looks so nice and good.:-) Stina

Martina said...

This sounds like heaven on a winters day - must try it!